Tuesday 1 September 2009

Why I love Malawi - The beginning

Experience Malawi is a bit of a self-indulgent blog covering a country that I am fascinated with: Malawi!

My first visit to the county was in 2001, at the tender age of 21, where I visited my girlfriend's parents who live in the town of Mzuzu, in the Northern Region of Malawi. We flew just before christmas from London to Lilongwe, the capital, and then took a packed minibus for the six hour ride north to Mzuzu. I was made incredibly welcome from the get-go, people we met were happy and welcoming, and my complete lack of any Chewa/Tumbuka/Nkonde didn't prevent communication (albeit with sign language taking over!)

Sambani Lodge. Lake Malawi's paradise hotel.The first week we spent in Mzuzu, visiting friends (my girlfriend hadn't bee back home for 3 years!) and then we headed down to Lake Malawi and her parents guesthouse in Chinthecthe - Sambani Lodge...wow! You've probably seen our sister site, www.sambanilodge.com, and if not I urge you to take a look, an amazing lodge on an unspoilt part of Lake Malawi, set on a sandy beach which is safe for swimming (much of the lake has bilhartzia). And all for a few £ per night...amazing!

It was with sadness that I left Sambani Lodge to head back to Liliongwe after a week of swimming and exploring the area, but needless to say it wasn't my last visit!

A great trip and one I remember fondly. Now my girlfriend is my wife, but more about that on future posts.

To find out what this blog is all about, go to the All About Malawi: What's it all about? post.

No comments:

Post a Comment